Thursday, July 12, 2007

Slayer-in-Training

Fat Doctor has just nominated Angel of Slayer-in-Training for The Positive Power of Schmoozing Award (which she herself was nominated for by Lois Grebowski).

The award is described thusly, and is shamelessly borrowed from FD who in turn hijacked it from Lois:

“As it goes, schmoozing is the natural ability “to converse casually, especially in order to gain an advantage or make a social connection.” Good schmoozers effortlessly weave their way in and out of the blogosphere, leaving friendly trails and smiles, happily making new friends along the way. They don’t limit their visits to only the rich and successful, but spend some time to say hello to new blogs as well. They are the ones who engage others in meaningful conversations, refusing to let it end at a mere hello - all the while fostering a sense of closeness and friendship…. I’ve thought of some great people who have made me welcome and schmoozed their way into my blog and life that I’d like to give this most prestigious Power of Schmooze Award!”


I have to say, I second this award, and can give even more background on just why Angel deserves it.

Not to say FD doesn't, because she's one heck of an awesome lady herself!

But anyway, I first "met" Angel back when I was expecting my second son. I was posting on some internet boards about pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, etc., under the name "Niamh O'Meara". The Niamh was just because I was looking for a decent Irish first name (I'm of Irish descent) and the O'Meara was my grandmother's maiden name (see, told you!). I soon ran into this funny lady by the name of Angel O'Hara on many of the same boards I was posting on. Girlfriend's got a laser-sharp wit, and doesn't hesitate to speak up when she feels it necessary. She's also got the softest heart on the planet. Add to that the fact that she shares my unseemly reading addiction, PLUS the two Irish last names, and soon we were e-mailing and IMing back and forth like fiends.

One day on our childbirth debate board I mentioned my midwife's name. Angel e-mailed me and said that was the name of HER midwife when she'd given birth to SuperBoy several months prior. We each knew the other lived in Florida, in the same general area, and when I told her the name of the birth center out of which my midwife was based, we were both floored.

Same town, y'all! But that wasn't the end of it.

That night we were IMing and she mentioned her husband played the violin. She already knew my actual first name was Amanda, and when I mentioned I'd played the violin back in high school myself, her husband (who was nearby), got a few thoughts percolating through his brain and told her to ask me where I went to high school. I answered.

He and I had gone to the same high school. Actually, I knew him and his brother quite well. His mom and mine had chaperoned about every orchestral trip in which the two of us had participated from junior high on.

And actually, I'd even met Angel in her real-life incarnation a few times. It was nothing too involved, more like "My old friend's wife (dammit, I know she has a name... now why can't I ever remember it!)," or on her side, "Oh yeah, that's one of the kids [GoalieMan] was in orchestra with back in high school" when we were each out to dinner with our respective families and such.

At this point we were both sitting there at our own respective terminals laughing like idiots and freaking out. Her husband was grinning and thought it was just the funniest thing. Obviously, so did we!

We also live less than 5 miles apart. Go figure.

Of course, after that revelation, getting together in person was mandatory for us. We sat and blabbed forever, and continued blabbing both online and in person throughout my pregnancy. After a time, I asked her if she'd like to come over when I had the baby... and she did.

I kicked her and my mom unceremoniously out of my bedroom when I was pushing the kid out, but they hid around the corner in the hall anway. Hee. I can't say I blame them.

We've drifted in and out of contact as our lives have shifted around us. I went back to work after five years as a stay-at-home mom when my younger son was eighteen months old. Angel was kept very busy parenting her two kids, taking care of her household, and dealing with numerous health issues, but every time we started talking again it was as if no time had passed.

Then one morning I checked my e-mail and found my blog had been commented on by someone named Angel. Hmmm... could it be? I clicked on the link to her Headache Slayer blog. Oh my gosh, yes it was her!

She'd found me through a comment I'd left on one of our local newspaper columnist's blogs (I'd linked back here).

Her husband thinks it's a stitch the way "Teh Intarweebs" keep bringing us back together. I feel the same way.

And I'm glad of it.

Angel, girl, I've said it before on your Slayer-in-Training blog and I'll say it again: you ROCK!

Note: Just to be clear, I did have Angel's okay regarding posting on my blog about us both knowing each other in real life. I was trying to think of a cute way to "come out" about it, but this just really seemed heaven-sent.

4 comments:

The Rainbow Zebra said...

Is it possible to grin, blush and bawl at the same time? Cuz I totally am!

(((((Amanda))))))) I am truly grateful the Web brought us back together. You've been such a good friend and an important member of the Slayer's Support Team (hehehe I should make up a web button with SST on it)

:::Smooches::: Can't wait to get together next week!

tz said...

What a fantastic story! It's so what novels are made up of---your friendship reminds me of an O'Henry story about two lovers lose each other and they find each other because the guy recognizes her artwork on a menue in a place he just stopped into for a bite to eat...very cool

Rural Felicity said...

What a cool, fun story!

Amanda said...

Angel, well, I think it is possible to do all three at once, LOL. And yeah, I'm glad the web once again interceded in our lives. Technology rocks!

TZ, isn't it a hoot? I swear, you'd think she and I would really know each other "normally," but no, it takes "teh intarweebs" to bring us together. Heh.

And Felicity, yeah, it is fun! :)