Saturday, June 02, 2007

Linked!

Okay, this is weird.

I was looking over my Sitemeter stats (more of you read this than comment... so comment, already! Hell, disagree with me, agree with me, but just freaking comment), and found someone had come here from Technorati.

Technorati? Wow. I even have, like, a page there and everything. Who knew?

Yes, I'm a blogging idiot. I thought you had to be a member of Technorati for your blog to be there. I was wrong, obviously. Huh.

Anyway, I found out also that this blog has been linked to by the New York Personal Injury Law Blog, regarding the shutdown of Flea's blog.

I feel mildly famous. Feeling at all impressed about this is rather pathetic, I'll admit, especially as my regular readers still seem to number in the single digits.

That said, I feel somewhat safe saying, Flea, what were you thinking? Oh man, I hate it that your blog is gone, and I hate it that you had to settle this case due to the blog. But dude, if you're posting about your medmal trial you have absolutely positively got to tell your attorney.

Number one Very Bad Thing to do to your lawyer is to allow that lawyer to be blindsided in court by something you did and failed to disclose to him or her. Nothing would piss off my former boss more than coming into court and getting wallopped by something her client had done that opposing counsel knew and her client had failed to tell her.

I'd even listen to her say, "Is there anything you need to tell me that the other attorney could bring up in court? I need to know now so we can handle the fallout if that happens." And the same clients she'd said that to were, invariably, the ones who did things like, oh, forget to take their meds for mental disorders resulting in weird behavior around the opposing party, or who'd left screaming phone messages for or sent profane e-mails to the opposing parties that, of course, the targets of these messages saved... arrrgh!

So, here's your public service announcement. Give your attorney full disclosure. Follow the attorney's instructions. Failure to do so can often result in disaster, or at the very least, an attorney who's desperately trying not to let opposing counsel see the smoke coming out of her ears in the middle of court.

No comments: