Tuesday, June 26, 2007

5 Things Meme

Mauigirl of Mauigirl's Meanderings has tagged me for this meme, in which I answer a list of questions, then (supposedly) tag 5 other people to do the same.

The Instructions: Remove the blog from the top, move all blogs up one, and then add yourself to the bottom. So here goes: What Floats My Boat, Homespun Honolulu, Who's Yo Mama?, Mauigirl's Meanderings, and It's All About the Walls.

What were you doing 10 years ago (5 Things)
1. Teaching.
2. Finally realizing my first marriage was a bust.
3. Herding three dogs and two cats.
4. Living in an actual real southern state, as opposed to Florida (which we all know is Michigan, just warmer).
5. Contemplating a career change to IT (which amused/appalled my IT classmates endlessly a few years later when I'd refer to various cables and such as "doohickies" and "whosiewhatsits")

What were you doing 5 years ago (5 Things ) [Note: This one wasn't on the original, but I added a midpoint because I'm just that way.]
1. Moving into this house.
2. Finally getting over morning sickness with #2 son (I got about 12 days off, then the sciatica kicked in).
3. Taking #1 son to his ESE Pre-K because he steadfastly refused to speak for his first 3.5 years of life (but once he decided to start talking he went for complete sentences and hasn't stopped since).
4. I was unaware of it at the time, but I was about to head back to work during my pregnancy due to the MCI/Worldcom bust, which cost my husband his job.
5. Tossing around the idea of a homebirth (ended up having one).

What were you doing 1 year ago (5 Things)
1. Finally realizing I was more than just a bit overweight -- I had crossed the line into fat.
2. Edging near becoming one of my former boss's clients rather than her secretary, as I was feeling rather homicidal about some of the clients.
3. Watching my Little Guy descend into canine dementia and severe incontinence (my rug is almost better, but he is still missed).
4. Trying not to think about my weight (kind of goes with #1, but more in a "still trying to be in denial" sort of way).
5. Another "I didn't know it then" one, but I was really near starting my blog (my one year blogoversary is coming up -- wow!).

Five Snacks You Enjoy:
1. Doritos
2. Cheddar cheese
3. Blue cheese
4. Mozzarella cheese (are we seeing a theme here, and perhaps *why* #1 of the preceding item occurred?)
5. Baked Lays Sour Cream and Cheddar chips (hey, at least they're baked!)

Five Songs That You Know The Lyrics To:
1. "Daylight Again" CSN
2. "Southern Cross" CSN
3. "Memory" from Cats
4. The entire libretto to Phantom of the Opera
5. "Goodnight Saigon" Billy Joel

Five Things You Would Do If You Were A Millionaire (Someone changed this one to Billionaire - a million is nothing nowadays!):
1. Donate more than time to the SPCA.
2. Adopt more cats. And perhaps a dog or four.
3. Hire a dog walker and a litter-box scooper.
4. Hire a housekeeping service -- preferably daily (with laundry and dishwashing service).
5. Uhm... I might cut back a bit on my hours at work. Perhaps.

Five Bad Habits:
1. I can only be neat when no one else lives with me. When someone else starts piling their garbage up around my neatness, I cave and my Inner Slug emerges.
2. I don't exercise enough. I move, yes, but my times of deliberate "this is Amanda, exercising on purpose" are few and far between.
3. Along the lines of #1, I see only surfaces that are above knee level.
4. I procrastinate. On the plus side, I work extremely well under pressure.
5. I will miss sleep to finish reading a new book (that might not be a bad habit, but as I've noted previously, Amanda - Sleep = bad).

Five Things You Like To Do:
1. Read (sometimes to my detriment - see immediately above)
2. Sleep (my holy grail)
3. Listen to my kids (they make me laugh)
4. Eat (wreaks havoc on the diet)
5. Watch the small furry felines as they chase invisible prey. Hee.

Five Things You Would Never Wear Again:
1. My black F-me pumps with the 5" heel. They look great, but they make my feet very sad along with the rest of my body as I tend to face-plant if I wear anything higher heeled than a Birkenstock.
2. My size 18 jeans. They were originally purchased as "immediately post-partum jeans," and became "the only pants I own that fit me" jeans. ACK!
3. Cropped shirts, because the stretch marks from pregnancy are not attractive.
4. A large scrunchy. How old am I? And what decade is this? Thank you. I have to remind myself sometimes.
5. My wedding dress. It was from my first marriage. 'Nuff said.

Five Favorite Toys:
1. My PDA-style phone with the QWERTY slide-out keyboard and Internet access. Danged thing's a lifesaver in airports, bank lines, etc.
2. My new digital camera. Who knew that taking pictures could be fun?
3. My new wireless laptop (thank you bosses for my bonus).
4. My books. Yes, they are toys. Anything that takes up this much room has to qualify as a toy.
5. My husband's new MP3 player, because it makes my house quiet so I can more thoroughly enjoy #4. Silence... bliss!

Five Things You Hate To Do:
1. Fold laundry. Yick.
2. Clean up after other folks (should have thought of this before I reproduced... duh!).
3. My morning and afternoon stop-at-two-kid-drops commute. I envy those who only have to get their own bodies to work in the morning!
4. Scoop the litter boxes. Yeah, ours are self-cleaning... I clean 'em myself (cymbal crash) (crickets).
5. Come up with the next set of meme victims.

And in honor of number 5, please volunteer if you feel like meme-ing! Let me know and I'll link to you in edits.

2 comments:

Mauigirl said...

Great answers! I like your addition of 5 years ago.

I'm like you - although I procrastinate, I do work very well under pressure!

Amanda said...

Well, the five year ago kinda fit :)

And yes, we might procrastinate, but when the fit hits the shan... go us! ;)