Thursday, March 29, 2012

Hmmm...

I did a measly 10.6 miles on the bike yesterday evening. It was a variable speed program rather than my usual, and I think I need to look at the manual a bit because all it did was start out higher resistance then keep decreasing. BOR-ring... okay, that plus it's hard for me to keep up speed when the resistance is too low.

Tonight I think I'll play with another Jillian workout. I'm looking at today's on her site (I'm a member, yes -- my utter lack of any intuitive athletic knowledge leads me to seek out those who know more, even at a price) and it seems I won't have to make any modifications other than putting all the cardio blasts on the bike because my knee is still peevish. I'm tempted to try one circuit with mountain climbers or even the treadmill cranked up to max incline, but with the amount of fuss that stupid joint is giving me I'd better behave.

Sigh. Oh well. Good news is I can still lift, and at least I can do the bike. It could be worse.


In other news, I'm starting something new next week. In line with me attempting to make my leisure time activities a bit more active than, say, bonding with my browser's "refresh" button, I've signed up for a beginner's level belly dancing class. I am as coordinated as an eleven-month-old child who's just staggering to his feet, so that should tell you all you need to know about my past dance history. It ain't pretty. But I've been interested since my college days when I was peripherally involved with the international students' association and saw some of the girls dancing. It was amazing. And I don't think that I have a prayer of moving like a twenty-year-old -- even like I did when I was twenty -- but it should at least be interesting.

I'll keep y'all posted. First class is Wednesday. I'll be 42 by then.

Yipes.

13 comments:

Angela Pea said...

Belly Dancing? WHOOT!!!! I've wanted to try it forEVER, but I'm probably about ten degrees less coordinated than you claim to be. Really. I can trip on air.

I can't wait to hear how it goes!

Michael Mock said...

I'm betting you'll like it. It's reasonably good exercise, you can do about as much of it as you like, and it doesn't require you to be in incredibly good shape in order to start it.

Lyn said...

Bellydancing classes sound like so much fun! And I hear that they really do help you tone. Maybe they will increase your coordination. I, too, have horrible coordination, which is why I never dance.

Good luck with the classes!

Norma said...

One of my cousins was a professional bellydancer when I was a little kid and I thought it was soooooo awesome! Have fun!

Diane, Fit to the Finish said...

Good for you on trying something new! Enjoy your class and let us know how it goes.

Gia said...

Ooo belly dancing! There is no way on earth I'd be good at all. No rhythm :(.

Amanda said...

Thanks everyone -- I really do think it will be fun :) Although as I've admitted I'm also rather klutzy (I trip over carpet lint) so this should be quite the experience.

Oh well, might as well try something new -- it can't hurt :)

Leigh said...

Have fun with the belly dancing;) Maybe one day...

Gorilla Bananas said...

Belly dancing is a wonderful art form and I hope it brings you many hours of harmless pleasure. Don't put a gemstone in your navel until you're really good at it.

InWeighOverMyHead said...

that sounds like so much fun!

Sara @ Domestically Challenged said...

I can't wait to hear how it goes! I want to try, but I am NOT very coordinated. Take pics!

Amanda said...

Thanks Lisa!

Sara, I would but can you imagine me trying to wrangle a camera along with my body in a freaking dance class? Disaster would ensue. We'll have to see if they have us do some sort of embarrassing little recital at the end like they do for the beginning ballet students.

Of course, those tend to be four or five. And they do look rather cute in the tutus.

Anonymous said...

I want to see video footage (or at least, photographic evidence) of you trying to belly dance, AJ :P