Sunday, September 06, 2009

Food

I know not everyone is as attached to what they've eaten/ will eat/ are planning to eat WEEKS out like I am, but there is a reason I struggle with my weight, and my adoration of food would play a large part in that. Since I'm obviously over-invested in what goes in my mouth, I track it like a demon to make sure I'm both eating enough of the right stuff and not overdoing on anything.

Yeah, I've lost fifty-ish pounds, depending if you go with my overall low (145) or my current (153), but the goal was 70 pounds, and for two years now I've worked on gaining and losing the same fifteen-plus-or-minus pounds about four times rather than getting those last 20-ish pounds gone.

Note: just for reference sake, the 130-pound goal weight is cleared by my doctor. I'm 5'-7" tall with a small frame, and the optimal weights for that height and build can range from 123 - 138. I figure 130 is a nice, pleasant happy medium, giving me room to indulge while not having me resemble Skeletor. That said, if I can't live with 130 as a healthy, fit person I will cheerfully up it so I can eat a bit more. Food is good.

Anyway, because it amuses me, here's today's breakfast:


The number columns represent calories, carbohydrates, fat, and protein, in that order.

I scramble eggs with one whole egg and two additional egg whites for more protein punch for my calories. Some days I go with entire eggs, but today, well...

For the rest of the day I will continue to eat. And eat. And eat. In just under two hours we're heading over to my brother's for a cookout that is going to include either barbecue or burgers (or both), chips, dip, the vegetables I'm bringing and MORE dip, Diet Coke, more dip...

Food is quite the theme with our family gatherings. Weddings, holidays, funerals -- my great-uncle personally planned the menu for his own wake a week before he died -- random social exchanges, they all revolve around food. So we make adaptations and have some healthier choices around, then just dive face-first into the trough.

I have a sneaking suspicion there might be brownies also. And perhaps some shortbread cookies if I ever get off my butt and put them in the oven.

So that little picture is my single salute to healthy eating today. Enjoy the Labor Day weekend, folks!!

5 comments:

Choreboy said...

I still haven't had a shortbread cookie, even after begging.

Amanda said...

I'll bake more tonight dear.

Heidi said...

LOL I weigh 130 and I'm three inches shorter than you. I think you look great. Luckily, I've been finding that maintaining is a lot easier than losing.

The Rainbow Zebra said...

You look great, really :) and hey if you stand next to me, you'll look absolutely TINY!! :D

Yeah. I love food too. Especially the food group called "Dessert".

It is my goal to get back on my doctor's weight loss plan when I see her in 2 weeks. Very sensible, and with the fact that she understands my chronics, she's supportive and understands I'm not going to lose as fast as some.

But it's time to use that brand new treadmill we got in January to use. Other than a place to hang clothes, purses and put piles of books on. Oops.

Amanda said...

Heidi, I'll have to take your word on the maintenance aspect -- you look awesome, btw!

And hee, Angel! My poor treadmill was the clothes rack, an above-floor-level stacking pallet... that sucker was neglected for most of the 7 years I've had it.

I hopped back on the thing a couple of months or so ago, and man it's gotten a workout! Rumor has it I have too... LOL

And since my parents aren't using their dumbells for their resistance exercising at this time, I've got custody of a set of 5, 7, and 10 pound weights along with my lone 3 lb dumbell. Plus they let me hijack the stability ball!

What's sad is I'm actually excited about that. Sheesh :)