Sunday, July 11, 2010

Cause and Effect

Conversation between Choreboy and me, following my latest heart rate measurement:

"Hey, my heart rate's at 54 beats per minute!"

"Is that good or bad?"

"Uh... good. It's low."

"Are you dead?"

"Noooo... Lance Armstrong's heart beats only 32 times per minute."

"Well that's cuz he wears that little rubber bracelet."

Alrightie then...

In other news, the weigh in weight was 150.25. That could be either due to standard weight fluctuation (hey, at least it's a lower 150?) or it could be related to the fact that for some reason I felt called to bake not just one, but two pound cakes in the seven days preceding the weigh-in.

Yeah, not my best or brightest move, considering my inordinate pound cake love.

Good news is that they came out great -- both taste/texture wise AND in their release from the bundt pan. So I have that going for me.

And I also am developing a scary low RHR... hee!! My recovery rate is coming along as well. Five minutes after I'm off my treadmill I'm back down around 60 BPM. So progress is being made, just not necessarily of the scale variety.

This week I've got a few things I'm working toward. I'm going to get my water in (and hey, check in to Sean and Kenz's Positive Effect Water Challenge!); I'm going add one additional serving of complex carbs (brown rice, whole wheat bread, sweet potato, etc) to each day; I'm going to stay within my calorie range and not have an "over" day; and I'm going to lift my weights three times this week.

Oh, and I'm not going to bake any pound cakes. That might help.

If I accomplish all this and the scale doesn't move, so be it. I know my fitness is improving because my RHR is dropping like a stone and my recovery rate is right behind it. At 150 I am at a healthy weight (I have to keep repeating this to myself because in my high school mind even breaking 120 was appalling -- and I am NOT in high school anymore!). That said, these last twenty pounds are not simply vanity pounds -- a goal of 130 pounds with a very small bone frame is quite reasonable -- but being so close to goal it's also reasonable that my body is going to want to hold on to every ounce it can manage.

I just have to outwit it, and I plan to do that by eating sufficiently and making up my calorie deficit through exercise.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have a date with my elliptical... or as I like to refer to it, "that bastard." Have a good one!

8 comments:

Lesley Speller said...

Mmmm Cake! I mean Mmmmm Low Cal rice cakes... LOL

Amanda said...

Oh and these weren't just pound cakes, but cream cheese pound cake.

Drool.

Oh well, I have some perfectly lovely brown rice in my fridge to accompany dinner tonight -- I cooked it with chicken broth, a little Worcestershire, and sherry, along with a bit of cheddar cheese. It ain't pound cake, but it has flavor. That can't be overlooked.

Choreboy said...

Hmmmm.... this post makes me sound simple-minded. The "rubber bracelet" comment was done with great sarcasm, which isn't reflected in the writing:) Besides- I did get the cat into the box without assistance!

Amanda said...

I'm sorry the sarcasm didn't come through, dear -- but no you aren't simple-minded! And yes you got the cat into the box by your very own self, a feat not to be diminished -- this is one very large, very fully-clawed, VERY intent-on-not-going-into-the-box cat!

Unknown said...

Dude, stop the pound cake baking madness!!!!

Amanda said...

Jenn, I hear you! So far so good at any rate. Weirdly, I weighed in this morning and was at 148.5. I give up! LOL.

I'm Just Another Fat Girl -jafg said...

I don't know if you know this, but I am totally jealous of your weight! And look at your heart rate and stuff!

Awesome!

Oh, I want the recipe for that perfect pound cake!

-jafg

I'm Just Another Fat Girl -jafg said...

Amanda!!!!!!!

I heart you so much, I gave you an award. Come visit it at my blog.

Muah!

-jafg