Monday, August 24, 2009

What IS That???

The above was the response today when I showed the folks at the office this picture:


That, my four dear readers, was dinner last night. Remember that link of the dinner I was considering for Saturday night? Well, yeah. I caved. Hard.

2 pounds of ground beef.
Most of a pack of bacon.
8 oz. block of cheddar.

I was worried the picture wouldn't do full justice to the lake of grease surrounding the thing, but clearly my concerns were unjustified. The irony of the steel cut oats, Newman's Own Sweet Enough Strawberry cereal with No High Fructose Corn Syrup, and fresh nectarine pictured in the background of this salute to atherosclerosis is not lost on me.

And for the record, Dad's Cheesy Bacon Wrapped Meat Loaf packs a 589-calorie-per-serving hit.

The result from my taste-testers, though, was a nearly 180 degree turnaround from the grits. There was no gagging, slight or dramatic. There was, instead, massive plate cleaning and requests for more, both at dinner last night and for me to make this again in the future.

"Mommy can't eat this too often, boys. In fact, I can feel my arteries clogging as I sit here."

"Well then, what about once every 3-4 months?"

"We might be able to do that."

Choreboy, needless to say, was in heaven.

7 comments:

Tycho Beresford said...

I now have a new wallpaper for my computer desktop, thanks! Personally I would have added a third egg and some tabasco sauce, but I'm sure it was very good anyway.

Amanda said...

Oh dear, do you have a computer wallpaper theme based on high-fat scary-caloric foods? Because I could totally see that.

It was good. Scary, but good. I'm considering uploading the picture into SL and rezzing a copy of it at Case's gig tonight, just in case anyone needs some inspiration. Now what would be cool would be if I could make it give out a notecard of the recipe and nutrition information (and include the AllRecipes URL), LMAO!

Choreboy said...

Oatmeal it wasn't :)And you'll notice...not a single slice of wheat(bread)anywhere near that little chunk of heaven.

Amanda said...

You, m'dear, are a mess :P

I bought a big loaf of wheat bread today during lunch. 17-grain even. Don't worry, I'll keep it at work so you won't get a rash...

Unknown said...

WOW, that looks disgustingly AWESOME!!! I can see why your kids gobbled it up, I be it was amazing!

Amanda said...

Jenn, oh it was! It was revolting, repellent, and everything that my good dietary habits scream against.

But damn, it was good.

Thanks for dropping by!! :D

Mauigirl said...

OMG, that is totally a heart attack on a plate! I bet it's great though.