Thursday, July 27, 2006

Paperback Writer: Beloveds

One of my favorite authors, PBW, known on Blogger/ Blogspot as Pbackwriter, aka S. L. Viehl, aka Lynn Viehl, aka Sheila Kelly, aka more pseudonyms, posted this: Paperback Writer: Beloveds. If you don't want to read her post, the extreme abridged version is what are the books that go even beyond favorites that you will re-read and re-read over and over again, and why?

For me, that's a hard question to some degree, as any book I enjoy tends to stay in my library, to be re-read ad infinitum. But I do have a few that transcend even that status to become Beloveds:

-All of the Little House books.
-C. S. Lewis's Narnia series.
-Anything by Edward Eager, although my ultimate favorites are Knights' Castle and The Time Garden.
-Anything I could find by E. (Edith) Nesbit (Bland). Yes, Edith Bland, who recreated herself into E. Nesbit. And it's entirely Edward Eager's fault, too, LOL.
-Madeleine L'Engle's Wrinkle series, and all others of her books that have some crossover, although my favorite is A Swiftly Tilting Planet.
-The first three of the Harry Potter books. Love the later ones as well, but they're darker and intrude on the innocence I like to pretend I still have, in some measure (do NOT laugh!).
-Johanna Lindsey's futuristic Warrior series (with the kystrals? And the UberBarbarians? Come on, tell me you don't remember it). Dang, that rocks! Cool trilogy.
-S. L. Viehl's Stardoc books and all others in that universe, but especially Stardoc itself. Because seriously, that book was like Dr. Quinn, Medicine Woman; Star Trek, and The Fugitive, all rolled up into one. And she's awesome. And I'm such a silly fangirl of this series. Oish. Okay, carrying on...
-Diana Gabaldon's books. Yes, all of them.
-Jean Auel's Earth's Children books, although I think my favorite of all these is The Mammoth Hunters.
-L. M. Montgomery's Anne and Emily books. And, frankly, everything else she wrote, because she brought the era and heartaches of my great-grandmother's and grandmother's lives to life for me. Some days I'm not so sure how I should feel about her, but love is the overriding factor, especially as, in spite of Ms. Montgomery's personal experiences, I still retreat to her books to experience what, to me, feels like a more innocent and straight-forward POV.

Do with that what you will.

No comments: